Suryaprakash, the talented vocalist from Chennai, is one of the promising exponents of Carnatic music today. He is the prime disciple of maestro Shri. T.V.Sankaranarayanan, nephew of the great Madurai Mani Iyer. He has received advanced training under Shri. T.V.Sankaranarayanan for more than 10 years, during which period he gave vocal support to his Master on many occasions.
Suryaprakash ascended the dais as an individual performer in 1989. He has earned the appreciation of experts and rasikas alike. He has been performing in many leading Sabhas in Chennai like the Music Academy, Mylapore Fine Arts, Krishna Gana Sabha etc., as well as many other places all over the country.
He has won the “Best Musician” award from both Krishna Gana Sabha and Indian Fine Arts Society. He has released a cassette produced by Kalavardhani, along with V.V.Ravi (violin) and Tiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam (mridhangam). He has composed three thillanas in the ragas Vasantha, Hamsanandhi and Suddha Sarang, which have been widely appreciated.
Suryaprakash’s forté is creative extemporisation of ragas and Manodharma swaras while strictly adhering to the discipline of Carnatic Music and Bhakthi oriented diction of songs.
Initiation from his uncle, Tirukkodikaval Shri.V.Rajamani at the age of 5. As the prime disciple of Sangeetha Kalanidhi Shri.T.V. Sankaranarayanan, trained in the esteemed baani of Ganakaladhara Shri. Madurai Mani Iyer for more than a decade. Also musically groomed by Dr. V V Srivatsa and Smt.Sulochana Pattabhiraman.
Awards & Titles
• Best Vocalist – Sri Krishna Gana Sabha – Gokulashtami series 1991
• Best Vocalist – Indian Fine Arts Society – December Music Series 1995
• Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer Prize for Best Raga Alapana – Sri Krishna Gana Sabha – December 1996
• Yuva Kala Bharathi by Bharat Kalachar, Chennai, December 1999
• Best Vivadhi raga exposition from The Music Academy, season 2001.
• Youth Excellence Award, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer Trust,2002.
• Madhura Gana Tilaka by Indian Arts Academy, Melbourne, June 2003.
• Nadachudar, December 2003 conferred by H H Jeeyar of Ahobila Mutt.
• Ariyakudi Memorial Award by Sriragam Fine Arts, Chennai, April 2004.
• Youth Excellence Award by Rotary Club of Madras West (R I Dist 3230), September 2004.
• Best vocalist in subsenior category, Music Academy, December 2004.
• Gambhira Gana Siromani by ABC (Thamizh channel), Sydney, May 2005.
• Ganamrutha Sagara by Gana Mukundhapriya, Chennai, December 2006.
• Best Vocalist (3 prizes) fom The Music Academy, Chennai, December season 2006.
• Nada Chintamani by Chintamani Gayana Samaja, July 2007.
• Gana Kala Vipanchee by Padma Vibhushan Dr. M Balamuralikrishna , December 2007.