Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam is an eminent Carnatic music vocalist. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam started her training in Carnatic Music at the age of five under K. Padmanabhan, a disciple of Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavathar from the Swati Tirunal Academy, Trivandrum. As a student and performer of classical music for over three decades, she has performed extensively in India and abroad since the age of twelve.
She learnt detailed aspects of manodharma sangita or improvisation under the guidance of Guru Sangeeta Bhushanam K Krishnaswamy of Annamalai University. Her gurus also include Vidwans S.Rajam, T. R. Subramaniam and V. R. Krishnan.She has conducted numerous workshops and lecture demonstrations on the various aspects of Carnatic Music.
She has presented papers at international conferences in many countries over the last decade. She is a serious researcher of music. In June 2007, she brought out a book “Apoorva Kriti Manjari” – a collection of twenty rare compositions of the Trinity of Carnatic Music. The book has notations in English and Tamil by noted musicologist S. Balachander and the audio has been rendered by Vijayalakshmy.
A doctorate in music, Vijayalakshmy was awarded the prestigious Fulbright Visiting Lecturer Fellowship in 2010. As part of the programme, she taught the subject ‘An Introduction to Indian Music’ at the Duke University, North Carolina, USA, as a visiting Fulbright fellow (Aug – Nov 2010).
Ph.D in Music, Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu – March 2011. Thesis topic: “Tamil Composers of the Twentieth Century”. The dissertation involved assimilation and documentation of Tamil Composers and a critical analysis of the musical and lyrical value of their compositions. Fulbright Visiting Lecturer Fellowship, USA, 2010. Sangeet Alankar, 1987, Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, New Delhi (A masters level program). Sahitya Kala Parishad, New Delhi Scholarship, 1983–1985. Sangeet Shiromani, 1982, Music Faculty, Delhi University (Diploma in Carnatic Music). Government of India Junior Talent Scholarship, 1977–1983.
Awards & Titles
• Nada Bhushanam, Shanmukhananda Sangeetha Sabha, New Delhi, March 2012
• M.S Subbulakshmi Award instituted by Narada Gana Sabha, Chennai,Dec 2010
• ‘Best Pallavi rendition’ prize, The Music Academy, Chennai, Jan 2007
• ‘Sahityapriya’ award from Kalavardhani, June, 2006
• ‘Sarada Krishna Iyer award for outstanding performance’ from The Music Academy, Chennai, Jan 2005
• ‘Tulasivana Puraskaram’ from the Tulasivanam Parishat, Kerala, December 2004.
• ‘Sangeetha Shikamani’ award form the Andhra Social and Cultural Association, Chennai, 2000
• ‘Gaana Seva Rathnam’ award from the Purandara Dasar Aradhana Mahotsava Sabha, Chennai, 1997
• ‘Best Vocalist’ award for the sub senior category from The Music Academy, Annual Music Festival, in 1996 and 1999
• ‘Outstanding Young Person’ award from the Jaycees, Kilpauk Chamber, Chennai, 1996